Tuesday 23 August 2016

Year 2 of 4

It's been three months since my summer exams got underway, and it's weird to think that back then I had no idea I'd succeed in finding a placement! This year I studied six 20 credit point units: Neuropharmacology and Neurophysiology for the first half of the year; Pharmacology of Body Systems, Integrative Physiology and Molecular Cell Biology for the second half; and BREES (a.k.a. Biomedical Research, Employability and Enterprise Skills) for the entire year (what a joy that was!).

The Neuro units made for a great start to the year; I was examined in them in January and got 82 in Neurophys and 85 in Neuropharm. By January I had also completed and scored highly in the BREES employability strand, and got 66.6% in the BREES January exam, which required me to write an abstract summarising the main points of a biomedical research paper.

I was less enamoured with my units for the remainder of the year, but I still scored rather well in them, achieving 70 in MCB, 73 in Integrative Phys and 79 in Systems Pharm. The bulk of the BREES workload had to be completed during the final term, including the enterprise group tasks (to which I contributed minimally) and an exam worth 50% of the unit, which assessed our statistical knowledge and abstract writing prowess (again). Somehow I was awarded over 90% in the statistics component and equalled my previous score for the abstract, which contributed to a decent score of 76 for the BREES unit overall. Once the exam board had ratified my marks, I was delighted to be awarded the Pfizer Prize for achieving the highest average mark across all units in the second year. I'm still thinking about what to spend the £75 prize money on…

Now that my blog is up to date, it's time to look to the future. In just over a month, I'll be setting off into the world of academic research, armed with these grades and the knowledge underlying them. I know I say it every year, but I really hope to start writing here more often and to log all the new experiences I have as an MSci placement student.

No comments:

Post a Comment