Sunday 14 February 2021

2021 Week 6

Hello from the snowiest week of the year so far! 

Because of the snow on Monday night, I delayed my experiments by a day, which was very useful as it meant I was home for most of Wednesday's Rosetrees Interdisciplinary workshop, which focused on contributions of interdisciplinary research, including physics and computer science, to developing new knowledge and therapeutic targets for brain neurodegenerative diseases. 

This was also the week I made traditional ragù by myself for the first time, following Nonna Alba's recipe from the book Pasta Grannies! The recipe calls for carrot and celery rather than my usual mushroom and pepper, half-and-half pork and beef mince, plus milk and nutmeg. My tip is to put a lid on the pan when frying the carrot, onion and celery to maximise their tenderness. After a little over an hour, the mixture bubbled down into a glossy sauce that beautifully coated the pasta.

I ventured into work on Saturday to image my slices, which was successful, but it was oddly draining to spend 5 hours at the microscope, so I'm hopeful that next week's slices won't be delayed and I can have a weekend away from work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment